Summer Fields

Summer Fields

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peaches at Buttonwood






The peaches have arrived at Buttonwood Farm, just down the road from downtown Los Olivos! Cool weather had delayed the harvest, but Saturday at the winery they were celebrating their arrival with peach trifle, sliders with peach chutney, grilled peaches...it was quite the feast. And even for those who didn't indulge, the first crops of peaches were available for purchase...one yellow (Flavorcrest) and one white (Elegant Lady), both delicious. Peaches are $2.75 a pound, either variety, or $2.50 a pound if you buy in larger quantities. Save your boxes for credit if you buy a larger amount.

I couldn't help but buy a few myself, and I'm planning to make several trips back. I hear they make the best peach ice cream ever, and I'm determined to see for myself! Sounds like ice cream may be a few weeks off, but there may be pies as soon as this week. Yum!